Main Navigation

Law Offices of Lisa A. Ruggieri
781-489-3759 Weekend & Evening Appointments Available

Get the compensation you need for support after a divorce

After going through a separation or divorce, you may think all the battles are over. Your child support arrangements are made, and custody has been determined. What happens when those determinations aren't upheld, and you end up losing out on child support or time with your child?

Family law arrangements are created in a legal setting, which means they must be followed by the parties involved in the case. If your ex is not following support arrangements or parenting plans that you have both agreed to, then it's time that you make sure he's held accountable.

In Massachusetts, you can take your ex to court over contempt. Contempt is when someone willfully violates a court order. By being in contempt of court, a person can be punished. Contempt is defined by the courts and includes acts such as refusing to allow the other parent to see his or her child during visitation time, failing to make reasonable efforts to make a child see the other parent, failing to pay child support or refusing to give a child back after a visitation time is over.

Courts won't usually find someone in contempt unless his or her violations are severe. You need to show that the other party knows about the court order, is violating it and is aware of violating it. In this kind of situation, it's important to speak with someone familiar with family law, as it can be a tricky situation to navigate.

If you're worried about the lack of payments you've received or are struggling to see your child, you need to seek help. Visit our comprehensive website to learn more about your options.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.