Child Support For Nonmarried Parents

Child Support For Unmarried Parents

Child support is often a point of contention between parents, especially those who have never been married. One parent often believes he or she should be receiving more child support while the other parent may believe that he or she should be paying less. Regardless of the side of the issue you are on, an experienced child support attorney can help.

We at the Law Offices of Lisa A. Ruggieri, P.C., in Wellesley, Massachusetts, understand the frustration that parents often experience when dealing with child support. From understanding their rights to understanding the state-set guidelines, our firm takes the time to explain all aspects of child support matters to unmarried mothers and fathers.

To schedule an appointment with a Wellesley child support attorney at the Law Offices of Lisa A. Ruggieri, P.C., call 781-489-3759 or send an email message.

Massachusetts Child Support Guidelines

Though judges do have some discretion to deviate from the state-set child support guidelines, most child support amounts are determined by the established formula. This formula calculates the amount of child support that will be paid by taking into account things such as:

  • Income of the mother
  • Income of the father
  • Number of children
  • Medical insurance costs
  • Custody arrangements (amount of time spent with the child)

Modifications And Enforcement

It is important that any changes to child support be reviewed and approved by the courts. If changes are made, even upon agreement between both parents, they may not be enforceable. When a drastic change in circumstances occurs, such as the loss or gain of a job or a subsequent marriage, either party can petition the court to seek an increase or decrease in child support. Our firm can help clients seek these court-approved modifications as well as deal with enforcement issues that may arise.

Contact Us To Discuss Child Support For Unmarried Parents

Let our staff at the Law Offices of Lisa A. Ruggieri, P.C., help you deal with issues involving child support for unmarried parents. Call a child support lawyer at our firm today at 781-489-3759 or send us an email to arrange an appointment.