Unpaid Child Support? Ignored Custody Arrangements? We'll File Complaints For Contempt On Your Behalf.

When family law arrangements are created, it is with the expectation that both parties will follow the orders. However, if your ex is not following the parenting plans or support arrangements you both agreed to, he or she can be held accountable.

At the Law Offices of Lisa A. Ruggieri, P.C., we help families in Wellesley and throughout the Greater Boston area receive the legal enforcement they need during and after family law proceedings. If your ex is not following the court orders you both agreed to, we can file a complaint for contempt on your behalf.

What Is Contempt?

Contempt is the willful violation of a court order, and individuals who disregard court orders can face punishment. An individual may be found in contempt for:

  • Refusing to allow the other parent to see the child during the scheduled parenting time
  • Refusing to return the child at the end of the scheduled parenting time
  • Failing to make reasonable efforts requiring the child to visit the other parent
  • Failing to pay child support or spousal support

You can use contempt during or after a divorce, including to enforce temporary orders. However, because contempt is severe, it may not be the appropriate remedy in every situation. Because contempt can make conflict worse, courts can be hesitant to find a person in contempt unless the violation is serious.

How Do I Prove Contempt?

Just because you believe that your spouse has willfully violated the court orders, that is not enough to prove contempt. In order to prove contempt, it's important to work with an experienced lawyer to prove that there is a valid court order in effect, that the other person knows about the court order, and that the facts show a violation of the order.

If you have questions about whether contempt is appropriate in your case, contact our firm. One of our attorneys can schedule a free initial consultation and discuss the unique details of your situation. Schedule a free consultation by contacting us online or by calling 781-489-3759.