Menu Contact
Law Offices of Lisa A. Ruggieri
Schedule A Consultation 781-489-3759

The rights of unmarried fathers explained

Having a child can be one of the great joys in your life. Children can make you grow as a person, enforce responsibility and give you a reason to be happy and successful. Sometimes, parents are in a difficult position, though, because they aren't married. If you find yourself in a similar situation in Massachusetts, then you need to understand how to move forward and claim your paternal rights.

As an unmarried father, you have rights that are defined by the United States, but you need to claim them to legalize them. Initially, during pregnancy or your child's birth, you could be identified as the "punative father," which simply means that you are a man who claims to be the biological father of a child but that the relationship hasn't yet been established by law.

In many states, a man can be presumed to be a father if the child was born during marriage or within 300 days of a marriage ending. That takes into account the length of pregnancy. He may also be presumed as the father if he acknowledges paternity in writing or consents to being on the child's birth certificate. If a man is paying child support, it's also assumed that he is the biological father of the child.

There are a few alternative ways to establish paternity in Massachusetts, too, and they may be easier depending on your situation. An acknowledgement of paternity can be used to legally recognize a father, for instance. Typically, this is signed by both the mother and father. What may be most interesting about paternity is that fathers may be able to revoke their paternity claims. Out of the United States, there are 13 states that allow fathers to revoke their paternity at any point before or after the child's birth.

Source: Child Welfare.Gov, "The Rights of Unmarried Fathers," accessed June 11, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact Our Law Firm

To make an appointment, call 781-489-3759 or send an email to schedule an initial consultation. We serve clients throughout the Boston area. Our firm can take your call 24 hours a day and meet with you during business hours, evenings and weekends. For your convenience, we accept Visa and MasterCard.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy


27 Mica Lane, Suite 101
Wellesley, MA 02481

Phone: 781-489-3759
Phone: 781-239-8984
Fax: 781-239-8986
Wellesley Law Office Map

Law Offices of Lisa A. Ruggieri


781-489-3759 781-239-8986 - Fax