Main Navigation

Law Offices of Lisa A. Ruggieri
781-489-3759 Weekend & Evening Appointments Available

How do you see what child support you received in Massachusetts?

Knowing the amount of child support coming into your bank account is important if you're the sole or primary custodian of your child. If you're entitled to $300, you want to know that you've received all of that money, since your child's other parent should be providing some compensation to care for your child.

To determine if you've been receiving the child support you're entitled to, you need to do a little math. You are probably receiving child support checks for different amount each week, and that can be difficult to track. The Massachusetts Department of Revenue offers a calculation worksheet, or you can compare the amount you've been ordered to receive by the court by the amounts showing up via check or direct deposit.

For example, if you are meant to receive $300 each month and have received four checks totaling $80, $89, $21 and $110, you would have received the full amount, even though the payments weren't even. Your payments could vary from the court order under a few circumstances.

For example, if all the money you've been owed has now been paid, you won't receive any more money from your child's father or mother. If money is owed to Transitional Aid to Families with Dependent Children, you may also see a difference in your check amounts. Additionally, if you have more than one child support order, that could make a difference in the amounts you receive.

By checking the amount you've received each month by adding the checks together, you can make sure you're not receiving too much or being shorted. Your monthly payments should arrive each week in installments unless a court has worked out a different plan for your situation.

Source: Department of Revenue, "How to Determine If You Have Received All Of Your Child Support" Aug. 28, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.